Friday, February 12, 2021

Dixie Cups and Slider Buns

      I don’t want my daddy to die. The two tracks we chose to believe after his cancer diagnosis were the miracle track and the reality track.

     Reality is winning.

     The only man I ever let call me darling is leaving. I check my phone every morning to see if the scripture he sends out to his kids and grandkids is there. When I see it pop up on the screen, it says that I have one more day. Lately he chooses the Psalms for comfort or New Testament calls to be strong in the Lord. You might think that it’s for him, but it’s for us, the readers, who send our little heart and thumbs up emojis to let him know we see him and his love for us.

     He is always, always, always bringing us back to Jesus.



     A month ago, he started giving blessings to his children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Many of them drove a long way to come and receive words from our patriarch. When unable to make it in person, they listened over the phone or on FaceTime.

     






     One Sunday in January, a large group of us gathered around his hospital bed in the middle of the living room as he spoke words of encouragement. My mom filled Dixie Cups with grape juice and my brother Jay broke slider buns into bite-sized pieces for this beautiful Christian ceremony that asks us to remember Jesus.




     He led us through a tearful Communion and then we sang together.

     “Bless the Lord, oh my soul, and all that is within me bless His holy name.”

     Then he prayed:

     “Father, thank you for my family, thank you for the legacy. Thank you that they will continue to honor You and love You. I praise you in Jesus name. Amen.”




     I don’t want my daddy to die, but by pouring into all of us here, at the end, he is reminding us all to live in the legacy he has created, one that always chooses to pour into others the love that Jesus has given to us.

     Life's a journey. Pay attention. 

Photo credits to my nieces Laura Fischer and Amanda Colle. 

    

18 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. Your dad continues to bless others even when he lays in that bed. I have joined y'all in praying for that miracle and will continue to do so. Bill is a special man to our family. We love y'all. Kathy Boatman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill has impacted many of us through the years. He is showing exactly how we should all lead our lives on earth to the very end. Sending many prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill has impacted many of us through the years. He is showing exactly how we should all lead our lives on earth to the very end. Sending many prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many praise songs and hymns remind me of your dad. He is an amazing man. He called Mom when Dad died and sang to us. What a sweet spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing Krista. I have always been a daddys girl. He passed away last February, but he left a great legacy also.
    So many of the tunes I learned at womens retreats in Titusville go through my head these days.
    Please feel free to reach out at any time. I'm on FB daily. Love and prayers to you and the rest of the family. Teresa Putnam

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so fortunate that your daddy is taking this opportunity to talk and share with you all. You are all blessed to have each other. And I am so blessed that your family touched my life.
    With love and Prayers,
    Salli Troyan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful words about an amazing and Godly man. May we all learn to pay attention. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words about an amazing and Godly man. May we all learn to pay attention. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill is so very special to my family and a remarkable Christian man who loves the Lord with all his heart and shows it by the way he lives each and every day. What a shining example to us! Praying for him and the entire family. We love you Bill - thank you for being part of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this reminder that we are all leaving a legacy of some kind,make sure it is one we would want our children to carry on.So love your dad and mom,praying for all of you.
    sherrie styles

    ReplyDelete
  11. Krista,
    This is so beautiful. Lovely example of Christ as the center of a family. How wonderful to receive specific blessings. May God strengthen you all and give everlasting joy to your dad. He taught a lot of us how to worship. He taught us what worship is. Peace and life be to your family.
    Rhonda Reitz Rye
    TItusville
    ...long time ago choir member at PABC.
    😊🙏🏻💛

    ReplyDelete
  12. May we all love like your Dad. Thank you for sharing these moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Colle baptized me! What an honor that was, I am so grateful to know him. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing and allowing us to be blessed as well by your Dad's continued confession of faith in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing. His legacy will live on from generation to generation for Gods Glory. His Kingdom is here on earth because of your Father and His love for The Lord! God bless each of you and we are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for sharing. His legacy will live on from generation to generation for Gods Glory. His Kingdom is here on earth because of your Father and His love for The Lord! God bless each of you and we are praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete